Ka Ending (Loreto V. Bihasa) is the only Balerian I know whose life story was turned into a movie. He was a soldier of the Philippine Batallion Combat Team that was sent to Korea in the 1950’s. He became a famous local hero because of his exploits in Hill 191, a battleground in Chorwon, Korea. When the place was attacked by the invading Chinese forces, Ka Ending was the only soldier who survived. After the war, a movie titled “Hill 191” starring Vic Vargas as Sgt. Loreto Bihasa was made.
Other actors in the film were Johnny Delgado, Edgar Salcedo and Lisa Lorena. You can click the picture above to view a bigger picture of the movie poster. I saw the picture in a cabinet at Museo De Baler.
I tried searching the internet for information about Hill 191 but there are few information about it. The only close hits are this, and this – both about the Battle of Hill Eerie, near Hill 191. Anyone out there who knows the story? Just give me a holler.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014