The one-week Specialized Tour Guides Workshop at AMCO and around central Aurora on October 2 to 6 wrapped-up successfully last Friday. Here’s some highlights:
- I was late for the opening program. There were actually two workshops, a Homestay Training and this one. We’re on the third floor. There’s a 150 pesos subsidized registration fee. That covers training materials, 10 snacks, 5 lunches, and a closing ceremony dinner.
- There were more than 30 participants and 4 resource persons from the DOT.
- First day: Overview of the Tourism Industry in Region III and Aurora. Speakers were Christopher Gonzales (Aurora Provincial Tourism Officer), Erwin Tamayo (DOT-Region III), and Noel Dulay (Tourism Coordinator – Ma. Aurora). Mr. Max Milan from the Provincial Protected Animals and Wildlife Bureau (PAWB) also presented an overview of the environmental conditions of the Province. In the afternoon Ms. Carolyn Gabriel from DOT conducted a seminar on Childwise Tourism.
- Day 2: The Mabuhay Host Program was conducted by Mr. Jaime Barrientos from DOT.
- Day 3: Mr. Medel Baytan conducted a seminar/workshop on Guest Relations, Reception and Guiding Techniques.
- Day 4: Site visit of Aurora attractions with demo-guiding by Mr. Medel Baytan. We became tourists of our own place for one day. Great experience. The Tourism Office rented a Genesis bus for this occasion. After the tour we had an election for the tour guides association. Ms. Tez Moreno was elected as President. I’m the PRO.
- Day 5: Practical exam. Another outdoor trip, this time we were the tourist guides. The graduation program and closing ceremonies was held at 6 PM. Then a closing dinner.
The pictures are still being uploaded.